What We Believe
Summary of Beliefs:
- We affirm the Bible as the inspired Word of God and the basis for our beliefs. It is God's revelation of Himself to mankind. All Scripture is totally true and trustworthy. It is the supreme standard by which we live our lives and understand truth.
- We believe there is one and only one living and true God. He is an intelligent, spiritual, and personal Being, the Creator, Redeemer, Preserver, and Ruler of the universe. God is infinite in holiness and all other perfections. God is all powerful and all knowing; and His perfect knowledge extends to all things, past, present, and future. To Him we owe the highest love, reverence, and obedience. The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being.
- Humanity is the special creation of God, made in His own image. He created them male and female as the crowning work of His creation. In the beginning man was innocent of sin and was endowed by his Creator with freedom of choice. By his free choice man sinned against God and brought sin into the human race. Only the grace of God can bring man into fellowship with God and enable man to fulfill the creative purpose of God. The sacredness of human personality is evident in that God created humanity in His own image, and in that Christ died for humanity; therefore, every person of every race possesses full dignity and is worthy of respect and Christian love.
- Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer. By His death on the cross He made provision for the redemption of mankind from sin. He was raised from the dead with a glorified body and appeared to His disciples as the person who was with them before His crucifixion. He ascended into heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God where He is the One Mediator, fully God, fully man. Through Him reconciliation between God and humankind is effected. He will return in power and glory to judge the world and to consummate His redemptive mission. He now dwells in all believers as the living and ever present Lord. There is no salvation apart from personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.
- Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. It is an act of obedience symbolizing the believer's faith in a crucified, buried, and risen Saviour, the believer's death to sin, the burial of the old life, and the resurrection to walk in newness of life in Christ Jesus. It is also a testimony to his faith in the final resurrection of the dead. Being a church ordinance, it is prerequisite to the privileges of church membership and to the Lord's Supper. The Lord's Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.
- Discipleship is the lifelong process of spiritual growth from the moment of one's confession of faith in Christ until one's death or until Christ's return. This spiritual growth involves an ever-increasing progress toward Christlikeness. The presence and power of the Holy Spirit in a believer's life enables the believer to mature morally and spiritually. He enables people to understand truth. He exalts Christ. He convicts people of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. He calls people to the Saviour, and effects regeneration. He cultivates Christian character, comforts believers, and bestows the spiritual gifts by which they serve God through His church. His presence in the Christian is the guarantee that God will bring the believer into the fullness of the stature of Christ. He enlightens and empowers the believer and the church in worship, evangelism, and service. This process involves the commitment of the believer to Bible study, Worship, Prayer, and faith Practice.
- Evangelism/Missions -- It is the duty and privilege of every follower of Christ and of every church of the Lord Jesus Christ to endeavor to make disciples of all nations. It is the duty of every child of God to seek constantly to verbally witness to all people of the truth of the gospel. One's verbal witness should be supported by a Christian lifestyle, and by other methods in harmony with the gospel of Christ.