Neighborhood News and Notes
April 21, 2020
Verse of the Day
"You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock." Isaiah 26:3-4 NLT
The story goes that a ship was wrecked in a furious storm and one of the survivors was a little boy swept by the waves onto a rock. He sat there all night long until, the next morning, he was spotted and rescued. "Did you shake with fear while you were on the rock during the night?" someone asked him. "Yes," said the boy. "I shook all night -- but the rock didn't."
Today's verses end with these words, "the Lord God is the eternal Rock." The words before this statement say what He will do. "You, the Eternal Rock, will keep (guard, protect) in perfect peace (safety) all whose thoughts are fixed (firmly holding or leaning) on you! Trust (be confident) in the Lord always!"
We can always trust in the Lord because He is the Eternal Rock. There is never a moment when He is not the Eternal Rock. We can feel safe and secure because we know we can rely on Him.
Reminds me of the time Jesus was awakened from a nap by frightened men in a boat in the middle of a huge storm. His words, "Peace. Be still!" calmed the winds and the waves. He amazed the minds and calmed the hearts of the once-frightened men.
There may be times when we are afraid and we shake -- but the ROCK won't! Trust in Him. Be confident in Him. Fix your thoughts firmly on Him and hold on! He will keep you in perfect peace!
As you are outdoors from time to time, look for a rock. Think about these verses and thank God for His Eternal faithfulness and protection.
REMINDER -- Online Hymn Sing/Song Service -- We are going to have an online hymn sing/song service through Zoom on Wednesday, April 29, at 7:00pm! Here is what we need you to do:
- Submit a hymn or song you would like to sing on April 29. You can send your request to Dawn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your requests no later than TOMORROW -- Wednesday, April 22.
- We will send you the link to the meeting once we get it set up.
- You click the link on Wednesday, April 29, a little before 7:00pm and plan to sing or listen (or make a joyful noise)
So, send in your requests by TOMORROW -- Wednesday, April 22!
UPDATE: As you know, some states are starting to open things up and lessen some of the restrictions that have been in place for the last month. North Carolina has not moved to lessen restrictions yet. We are staying in touch with Hopewell High School and CMS so that we know when we might be able to return to our Sunday Bible study and worship schedule. What we know at the moment:
- When CMS closed schools they declared them closed until May 16. Whenever school is closed, all community use of school activities are cancelled. Therefore, unless this policy changes, the earliest we may return to Hopewell High School is May 23.
- Our last rent payment for use of the school covered expenses through the end of April. We will be credited the amount of rent we paid for the days we have not met. This will either be returned to us or applied to future rentals.
- If before May 23,
- North Carolina removes the restriction on large public gatherings AND
- The current CMS policy does not change, THEN
- We will evaluate other options for places to meet for worship temporarily.
In the meantime, thank you for your faithfulness to worship online each week! I pray that these times are truly worshipful for you.
Online Giving -- We now have online giving operational. If this is an option for you, especially during the time we are unable to meet, here is the link for online giving on our website https://neighborhoodchurchnc.org/give. If you would rather use regular mail, the address is:
12625 Kemerton Lane
Huntersville, NC 28078
Checkout our Church Facebook Page -- If you are on Facebook, visit our church page (Neighborhood Church NC). It is a place where you can leave comments of encouragement or ask questions. I plan to add on our Facebook page at least one verse of scripture each day that I hope will encourage you. Take a look at the page and make comments about anything on your mind as a way to stay connected with each other during these days.
A Great Time to Love Our Neighbors -- During this time of "social distancing," think of ways you can help your neighbors. Without putting your health or theirs in jeopardy, what are some things you can do to show the love of Christ to your neighbors during this time? Run an errand? Share a book, toys, games, etc. for families whose kids are now "stuck" at home all day? If you come up with some ideas, share them on the Facebook page or email them to me. I'll share with the church family. That may spur someone else to reach out to their neighbors also!
If you need help with anything, please let me know. I already have some folks who have expressed to me their willingness to help. You can email me or contact me on my cell phone (704-264-9265). This number also receives texts.
Our address is: 11530 Beatties Ford Rd, Huntersville, NC 28078, USA